- single-centre walking holiday in the company of author Chris Stewart
- local walks and trips accompanied by Chris and other guests
- feel part of the community, with insights into local ways of life
- excellent regional gastronomy - learn to cook Alpujarran dishes
- rewarding and varied walking
- visit Granada and explore the famous Alhambra
- excursions to Calahorra and Guadix
- airport transfers included
This fascinating week takes place where the almond-coated hills of Las Alpujarras flank the southern slopes of the dramatic Sierra Nevada, the highest mountains in mainland Spain. This is an area of outstanding natural beauty, with characteristic whitewashed villages tumbling down terraced valleys, and the ancient Moorish irrigation systems that are a testament to the area’s long and colourful past. Here, you will find a hardy people who have worked these landscapes for centuries; theirs is a traditional way of life that seems untouched by the passage of time.
Mairena, the main base for your holiday, is one such Alpujarran village whose hard-working inhabitants adhere to a simple way of life, based upon a sound knowledge of the terrain and climate. With the help of your knowledgeable hosts, Emma and David Illsley, you have the opportunity to become much more than just a spectator, immersing yourself in the gentle rhythms of the south.
Your time in Mairena is spent in the company of award-winning author Chris Stewart who not only accompanies you on a number of scenic walks and excursions that explore this alluring corner of southern Spain, but he also spends the week at the hotel as a fellow guest, sharing his views, thoughts and memories.