Are you a modern-day Jemima?
Would you like to spend a week on a journey through the Swiss Alps? Are you over 18 years of age, have Yorkshire connections and enjoy hill-walking? Do you love writing and would be prepared to create regular blog and diary entries? Are you free from 22-29 June this year? If the answer is ‘YES’ to all these questions, you could be the person we’re looking for!
When tourism pioneer Mr Thomas Cook organised his first package tour to Switzerland in 1863, one of the people who went with him was 31-year-old Jemima Morrell from Selby in Yorkshire, who described her adventures in the Swiss Alps in a fascinating diary.
To celebrate the 150th anniversary of that first tour, we are now looking for an enthusiastic and energetic person to follow in her footsteps. After the success of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s search for the ultimate Maria, Dorothy and Nancy, we have teamed up with Switzerland Tourism to find a "modern-day Jemima".
Anyone with a spirit of adventure and with Yorkshire ties is invited to apply for the role of Jemima on a commemorative journey hosted by Switzerland Tourism departing from London on 22nd June and returning on 29th June.
The successful applicant will enjoy a seven-day adventure following in Jemima’s footsteps from Leukerbad to Lucerne by rail and on foot. In return, our 'Jemima' will be required to produce diary entries on the adventure in the form of blogs, tweets and posts for Switzerland Tourism and for Inntravel.
You will travel through the same villages and take in the same magnificent views that so inspired Jemima 150 years ago. However, thanks to modern-day clothing and the seamless Swiss transport system, you will find your journey far less arduous than Miss Jemima’s gruelling itinerary but equally memorable nonetheless!
How to apply
For a chance to become our Jemima, you should email us at email@example.com with the following information:
- • Tell us in fewer than 100 words why you should be Jemima;
- • Send us a picture of yourself taken on an earlier adventure, anywhere in the world (max 5mb);
- • Tell us your name, age, address and full contact details*.
Applications must be made by 9.00am on Monday 29 April 2013 and the name of the successful candidate will be announced by 3 May. You will need a full valid passport.
*Note: contact details will only be used for the purpose of contacting prospective applicants and not used for marketing purposes.
Julia Spence or Natalie Postlethwaite
Julia Spence Public Relations
Tel: 01491 824524 or Mobile: 07802 443113
Heidi Reisz Switzerland Tourism
Terms and conditions:
• Entry into the search for Jemima is acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
• The search for Jemima is open to residents of the UK aged 18 and over.
• The applicant must have a tie with Yorkshire, enjoy hill walking and writing and be conversant with social media, as the successful applicant will be required to produce diary entries on the adventure in the form of posts and tweets for Switzerland Tourism and Inntravel.
• Applicants must be prepared to be fully equipped for a week walking in the Swiss Alps, Inntravel and Switzerland Travel accepts no responsibility for any costs associated with buying equipment for the trip.
• The applicant must be free and able to travel between 22-29 June 2013. The successful applicant will need to be in possession of a valid passport and to be able to satisfy any applicable visa requirements for the duration of the trip. Any associated costs are at the applicant’s own expense.
• No responsibility is taken for applications that are lost, delayed, misdirected or incomplete or cannot be delivered or entered for any technical or other reason. Proof of delivery of the application is not proof of receipt.
• Only one application per person. Applications on behalf of another person will not be accepted and joint submissions are not allowed.
• To be considered, you must write to firstname.lastname@example.org with an email entitled ‘I am the modern day Jemima’ with an image of yourself taken on an earlier adventure, anywhere in the world, and to say in less than 100 words why they should be Jemima.
• The search for Jemima closes at 09:00 on 29 April 2013. Applications received after that date and time will not be considered.
• “Jemima” will be chosen by Switzerland Tourism who have the right to phone and discuss the trip with applicants before making the final decision.
• The successful applicant will be included on a seven day trip, courtesy of Switzerland Travel, following in the footsteps of Jemima Morrell with a small group. The trip includes specific flights from London plus meals, accommodation and transport within Switzerland. The successful applicant will be responsible for any additional costs and expenses, including transport to and from the departure airport in London and personal travel insurance.
• The successful applicant will be notified by email or phone on or before 3 May 2013. If the successful applicant does not respond to within 10 days of being notified, then Switzerland Tourism may be entitled to select another applicant.
• The successful applicant may be required for promotional activity.
• Nothing in these terms and conditions shall exclude the liability of Inntravel and Switzerland Travel for death, personal injury, fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation as a result of its negligence.
• Inntravel and Switzerland Travel accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by you as a result of entering the search for Jemima or accepting the trip.
• Inntravel and Switzerland Travel reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, this search for Jemima with or without prior notice due to reasons outside its control (including, without limitation, in the case of anticipated, suspected or actual fraud). The decision of Inntravel and Switzerland Travel in all matters under its control is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.