Call Inntravel on
+44 (0)1653 617001

+44 (0)1653 617001search
      Your holiday > Passports, visas & health requirements

Passports, visas & health requirements

walking holidays with inntravel

It is your responsibility to ensure that you are in possession of all necessary travel and health documents and that you have complied with all compulsory requirements before departure. All costs incurred in obtaining such documentation and complying with all requirements must be paid by you. We regret we cannot accept any liability if you are refused entry onto any transport or into any country due to failure on your part to carry correct documentation. If failure to have any necessary travel or other documents results in fines, surcharges or other financial penalty being imposed on us, you will be responsible for reimbursing us accordingly.

Passports & visas

British citizens must have a full British passport to visit the countries featured on our website. Visas are not required for any country, other than India, Nepal and Turkey.

If your passport is due to expire, please check the requirements of the country you are visiting – some nations will not allow you entry unless your passport is valid for up to a further 6 months. Entry requirements may change and you must check the up-to-date position in good time before departure.

A British passport presently takes approximately 4 weeks to obtain (see the UK government website, If you or any member of your party do not yet have a passport, our recommendation is that you should apply for one at least 6 weeks before your holiday as the UK Identity and Passport Service has to confirm your identity before issuing your first passport and will ask anyone aged 16 or over to attend an interview in order to do this. Babies and children must have their own passport, and cannot be included on a parent’s passport. Children’s passports are valid for 5 years.

If you or any member of your party is not a British citizen or holds a non British passport, you must check passport and visa requirements with the Embassy or Consulate of the country(ies) to or through which you are intending to travel. Note that many European countries now require that passports issued by non-EEA (European Economic Area) countries must be valid for 3 months beyond the period of intended stay.


Information on health is given on the NHS website (, the website of the National Travel Health Network and Centre ( and in the booklet T7 (Health Advice for Travellers) available from your local Department of Health office and most Post Offices.

EHIC card

You should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) prior to travelling to a European country as this may entitle you to free or reduced-cost medical treatment while abroad. You can apply for your EHIC online by visiting, by telephone on 0300 330 1350, or by post with a form available from most Post Offices. Telephone and postal applications can take up to 21 days. Please note that an EHIC should not be relied upon as a substitute for comprehensive travel insurance. The EHIC scheme is valid in all countries of the EU, plus Norway, Iceland and Switzerland.

Holidays outside Europe

There are no reciprocal health agreements between the UK and countries outside Europe, including Turkey, India, Nepal and Morocco. It is therefore all the more important that you have comprehensive personal travel insurance to cover you in the case of illness or an accident. Please see our travelling outside Europe page for further information.

Conduct while abroad

Please do not take unnecessary risks while on your holiday. In the interests of safety, you must follow the guidance in our notes, as well as that provided by anybody on our behalf; comply with any local codes of conduct; follow the Country Code; and act sensibly and prudently at all times. You should be in generally good health and able to fulfil the physical demands of your chosen holiday.

Advice on foreign travel

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office produces up-to-date travel information for each country to help British travellers make informed decisions about travelling abroad. For further information, please visit (you can also download a copy of the FCO’s Plan.Pack.Explore leaflet which gives general advice on how to ensure you have a trouble-free holiday).


We offer a personal holiday insurance policy specifically tailored to our type of holiday by Fogg Travel Insurance, whose cover is among the most comprehensive available. In addition to emergency medical assistance, the policy provides cover for cancellation and travel disruption in many cases. If you are taking a walking or cycling holiday, it even covers you if you are unable to walk or cycle due to illness or injury. For winter holidays, it provides wide-ranging winter sports cover.

We consider adequate travel insurance to be essential. If you decide not to purchase our insurance, we will require you to provide us with details of your alternative policy (insurer, policy number and medical emergency telephone number) so that we can assist if the need arises while you are on holiday. You should ensure that the insurance cover you purchase covers the activities Inntravel provides during your holiday and is adequate for your particular needs. We will not accept liability for any damage, costs, losses or expenses which you incur as a result of your failure to do this; we do not check alternative insurance policies. If you do not inform us of your alternative arrangements, we will automatically add our insurance premium to your invoice. If you purchase our insurance, you must make sure our policy meets your needs, paying particular attention to existing health conditions and any planned activities, if different from those offered by us.